mizu shingen mochi, trial 3

I, being the type who gets slightly obsessed with an idea, plowed on with the kanten experiments.

After quite a bit of researching, I still don’t see why some agar agar images are clearer than others, specially the Japanese-based ones. Maybe the opacity might likely be partly due to the agar agar brand? There’s only 1 way to find out…. I did a quick online poking around and found this.

2014-10-01 22.55.36

A spanish brand. I couldn’t find any japanese ones in London, so this will have to do.

2014-10-01 23.32.22

1/4 teaspoon + 500ml water + 1/3 cup demerara sugar

The moment I added the sugar I knew I should have stuck to rock sugar…. the liquid turned out golden yellow.


Oh well…. Can’t be helped. Wasn’t overly sure this ratio would have worked anyway.

To add insult to injury, the darn iceball mould started to leak even though I made sure to close the lid properly.

The result:

2014-10-03 00.27.23-1

They held their shape a tiny little bit better, though still fell apart when I tried to take them out of the mould.

Best thing was, the clarity looks much better than my usual brand! I was actually quite pleased with how pretty it looked.

Next trial soon!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s